Hair can become damaged by many factors, including weather and heat overuse.
Around summertime, it’s very easy for hair to become dry due to the sun, and pool or ocean water. Chlorine found in most pools is very damaging for both your skin and hair, that’s why it’s very important to shower following a swimming session. Hair can also become damaged from using heat styling tools very often and not protecting your hair with a serum or heat defense oil. If you use styling tools, swim, or are in harsh weather every week, it’s a good idea to use a conditioning mask for your hair once a week or every other week. There are great store-bought treatments you can try, or you can take a do-it-yourself approach and check out this homemade recipe!
You will need:
- a mixing bowl
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 egg (optional)
- shower cap
- Use the whisk to beat the egg in the mixing bowl.
- Add the mayo and blend it well with the egg.
- Pour in the olive oil while you whisk the ingredients together to create a blended and whipped consistency.
- Wash your hair, or ensure it’s damp before you apply the mask.
- Using your gloves, start applying the mask evenly from root to tip. Pile on more on the ends, since they’re the oldest growth and have the most damage.
- When all your hair is fully saturated, wrap it up into a bun and cover it with the shower cap.
- Leave on for 30-45 minutes depending on hair dryness.
- Rinse off with cool water, shampoo, condition and style as normal.
Doing this treatment on your hair once a month or once every two weeks is enough to restore a soft and manageable texture. The olive oil moisturizes and seals the moisture in your hair, which helps keep a soft appearance and prevents frizzies. Eggs are a great source of protein, which adds strength as well as shine to your hair and prevents future breakage and split-ends. The fats and oils found in mayo are a great source of hydration for dry hair, will leave hair soft and shiny. Just be sure to rinse very well with cool water and shampoo and condition. For an extra splash of shine rinse your hair again with a cold beer, after you have rinsed the mask off!
What’s your favorite homemade recipe to condition dry hair?!